Physics Week Eleven (July 16): Synthesis

E-prime:
E-prime is an interesting system that tries to remove a lot of the opinion in our speech and is much more succinct and neutral. It is very difficult to word our sentences in this system because we are naturally very opinionated, and we assume a lot of things as true when it might not be. For example, “the tree is green,” is more accurately thought of as, “the tree appears green to me.” Green is a very abstract word that can be visualized as many different shades to different people. Also, this system reminds me of a workshop I attended that explained the concept of nonviolent communication. NVC also had a similar way of wording speech to prevent miscommunication and more accurate expression of words and ideas that are less opinionated/emotionally charged and more neutral. They try to better articulate our feelings into words that may otherwise be interpreted negatively by others.
I find many of these types of systems help us to express ourselves in ways that limit miscommunication between each other because we never truly know what another person is thinking and so having the ability to express ourselves accurately is very important for social skills.

My E-prime day example:
It seems like I woke up later than my alarm went off. I traveled to school in what appears to be a motorcycle. I think I was tired during class. I seemed to enjoy my lunch of what appeared to be a meal of pho. I traveled home and with my lack of knowledge and in my present ignorant state, tried to read more about TCM. I then ate more of a what seemed a delicious dinner and then went to sleep.

Synthesize Eastern and Western ideas in physics:
Eastern and Western ideas of physics are actually quite similar in the broader sense in that we are all interconnected and we are attracted to one another just as atoms are to each other in order to complete each other. Eastern views of holistic and interconnected living also reflect the idea that we inadvertently affect each other whether we want to or not. Just stepping into a room, we bring with us  an energy that affects the others in it and vice versa. Just like vibrations in the Western view, we vibrate at specific frequencies that in the Eastern view, contain a specific energy that can be manipulated and changed with needles and intention.

Comments

  1. That’s great that you participated in a workshop for nonviolent communication. Learning to use language in a positive and neutral way is the foundation to creating better relationships.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts