Biology Week Three-Stem Cells and Genetic Evolution
1. “99.4% of the most critical DNA sites are identical in human and chimp genes”:
This statement makes complete sense and yet is still quite surprising and shows just how similar and different we are from person to person. That makes you think what makes us so unique? It makes sense because we must have evolved over time from some kind of mammalian animal that slowly evolved intellectually, and chimps seem to be our closest relative. That 0.6% must have some kind of special gene combination that allows for higher reasoning brain functioning to allow us to evolve as we have.
2. Sleep and health is such a tricky thing. There are so many factors such as stress, culture, lifestyle, and diet that all influence our health and the sleep cycles we are in. Personally, ever since I was a kid, I've always been an early bird, and to this day I've been known as the "grandma" among my friends and family. I usually sleep with the sun and wake with the sun averaging around 5am and sleeping around 9pm. In general, I try to sleep at least by 11pm even for late nights because in TCM, this is the time for the gallbladder to fully digest fats and it's said you may have more emotional problems if you're not sleeping by this time. Also,the moon cycle and my menstrual cycle have definitely brought a lot of variance to my schedules. I tend to have less restful sleep after my period (possibly due to blood deficiency in a TCM perspective), and during the full moon I tend to be more anxious and less rested. Over the past week, it was a different experience than I'm used to because I had a pretty bad health scare and so I've had nightmares, dream-disturbed sleep, and trouble falling asleep almost every night this week, so there is definitely a connection between the quality of sleep we get and our health, and especially how our emotions affect us.
This statement makes complete sense and yet is still quite surprising and shows just how similar and different we are from person to person. That makes you think what makes us so unique? It makes sense because we must have evolved over time from some kind of mammalian animal that slowly evolved intellectually, and chimps seem to be our closest relative. That 0.6% must have some kind of special gene combination that allows for higher reasoning brain functioning to allow us to evolve as we have.
2. Sleep and health is such a tricky thing. There are so many factors such as stress, culture, lifestyle, and diet that all influence our health and the sleep cycles we are in. Personally, ever since I was a kid, I've always been an early bird, and to this day I've been known as the "grandma" among my friends and family. I usually sleep with the sun and wake with the sun averaging around 5am and sleeping around 9pm. In general, I try to sleep at least by 11pm even for late nights because in TCM, this is the time for the gallbladder to fully digest fats and it's said you may have more emotional problems if you're not sleeping by this time. Also,the moon cycle and my menstrual cycle have definitely brought a lot of variance to my schedules. I tend to have less restful sleep after my period (possibly due to blood deficiency in a TCM perspective), and during the full moon I tend to be more anxious and less rested. Over the past week, it was a different experience than I'm used to because I had a pretty bad health scare and so I've had nightmares, dream-disturbed sleep, and trouble falling asleep almost every night this week, so there is definitely a connection between the quality of sleep we get and our health, and especially how our emotions affect us.
Comments
Post a Comment