Biology Week Eight (June 25): Cell Biology HIV/AIDS AND LOAFING

The Western approaches to HIV/AIDS are also ones that focus heavily on prevention rather than treatment. There is no actual cure for HIV/AIDS and so, drugs such as PreP are being created to help prevent its contraction. There are a lot of complicated social stigmatization with sex in general in our society, and the acceptance from different social groups on being sexually active so there is definitely a lot to unpack with this drug, not just in a medical view. I believe it's very important to make it available to all and prevention is important. The stigma is something that education and acceptance of all types of lifestyles is key. As in one of the articles states, "These two studies reveal an alarming truth: slut-shaming is very real, life-threatening, and hurting the queer community. Additionally, the folks who have the highest risk of acquiring HIV are the ones most likely prevented from taking PreP by beliefs about what using the HIV prevention drug might say about them..." It's important to address these issues as social stigmas can really hamper the positive benefits of preventative measures such as these. It's a similar case for TCM in how we are also battling a number of stigmas that are constantly trying to discount the efficacy of our medicine. TCM can be used for virtually almost every internal imbalance in the body.There are many benefits to the immune system. The way I look at it is like when we put a needle into our bodies we give a little "shock" to the central nervous system via the peripheral nervous system (from distal points). We stimulate our body to start producing more endorphins, immune system cells, etc. to start producing more and to go to specific parts of the body where we direct it. It's extremely helpful to help strengthen our bodies.

Everyone loafs around in their own way. It all depends on our specific lifestyles and the circumstances we are in. Being in graduate school, my “loafing” around has changed a lot in the past few years. However, I have found a few ways to rest and relax. Motorcycles are my biggest way of escaping from the hustle and bustle of the city, and it is also my own meditation and time for reflection. I usually have a very structured week with set times and appointments, but every week I get on my motorcycle and pick a direction without a destination. Whether it’s a 20 minute ride or a 2 hour ride, I allow myself freedom that I don’t usually get. This past week I made my way to the beach and relaxed for a few minutes before continuing on with my day.

Comments

  1. I enjoyed your tidbit on loafing, as I can equally agree that riding motorcycle is a fantastic way to loaf around and get around at the same time. Your point in social stigmas with HIV/AIDS are also very true because those are real issues that far too many individuals face through their journey to become healed emotionally and physically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you loaf! I just read in bed, but I transport my mind to some other distant place and time. When I loaf, I never read anything that will make me smarter or I could use in every day life. Social stigma is everywhere in our culture. It is sad, that people will push a person down instead of pulling them up. We can educate those around us, especially our youth, to respect others, to help and to serve.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment